The City Clerk is appointed by the Mayor and City Council, is the official custodian of City records and oversees the operation of the Revenue Division and Municipal Court. The City Clerk serves as clerk to the Council and attends all Council meetings, keeps a record of all proceedings, and signs and attests ordinances, resolutions, or other acts of Council. The City Clerk receives all revenue and other money for and on behalf of the City and deposits the same with the City Treasurer. The Department also issues City Business licenses and prepares City Council agendas and minutes.
In addition to its overall mission of maintaining the official records for the City of Muskogee, the Office of the City Clerk also:
- prepares for all City Council meetings, public hearings, and work sessions
- processes many types of licenses, bonds, and insurance documents
- sells and distributes copies of the City Code; Code supplements, and other City publications.
- processes and maintains all records of appointments to various boards and commissions.
- accepts petitions filed by citizens.
- Is responsible for conduct of municipal elections of the City of Muskogee, including City Council elections and runoffs as well as elections dealing with bond issues, referendum, initiatives, revising of the City Charter.