Executive Assistant to Assistant City Manager
CLASS TITLE: Executive Assistant to Assistant City Manager
PURPOSE OF THE CLASSIFICATION:
Performs moderately difficult and varied clerical and administrative work requiring the application of knowledge and skill acquired through experience. Work entails performing a variety of office tasks with minimal direction and relieving a superior of numerous administrative details. Work involves considerable contact with the public and includes arranging schedules, meetings and travel arrangements. Work is performed with a high degree of independence, though it is subject to administrative review.
·Provides administrative support for programs, and services other departments reporting to the Assistant City Manager.
- Arranges conferences, meetings and travel reservations for Assistant City Manager and other department heads reporting to the Assistant City Manager; maintains scheduling and event calendars; coordinates conferences and meetings; confirms appointments for Assistant City Manager.
- Coordinates and maintains smooth communication efforts between Assistant City Manager’s office, internal departments and the public that are crucial to the success of the City’s initiatives and to the City as a whole.
- Assists in designing statistical databases for decision making processes. Responsible for inputting and retrieving all statistical and factual information.
- Reviews work for accuracy and grammar.
- Prepares staff reports, informational items and agenda items for Planning Commission, Public Works Committee, City Council and others as required.
- Sets up and maintains electronic and manual administrative filing system. Responsible for the production and management of correspondence and documents.
- Organizes and maintains an operational financial system and reporting processes.
- Performs payroll function for Assistant City Manager’s office and other administrative departments assigned to Assistant City Manager.
- Exercises sound judgment by keeping the Assistant City Manager abreast of any issues that may arise internally and/or externally which could impact the Department or the City.
- Provides follow-up and direction to Department Heads in absence of Assistant City Manager.
- Provides substantial contact with the public, other agencies and fellow employees with tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Composes, types and distributes meeting notes, routine correspondence and reports; prepares correspondence, memoranda, reports, memos and agendas as needed.
- Greets visitors and callers, handles their inquiries and directs them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Locates and attaches appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies; makes copies of correspondence and other printed material; opens, reads, routes and distributes incoming mail and other material and prepares answers to routine letters.
- Uses significant discretion in day to day decision making on behalf of the Assistant City Manager and other Department Heads.
- Orders and dispenses supplies as needed; sets up purchase orders, assigns accounts and requisitions invoices for payment for Assistant City Manager’s office and other departments reporting to Assistant City Manager.
- Operates office equipment such as fax machines, copiers and phone systems and uses computer for spreadsheets, word processing, database management and other applications; learns to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented.
- Performs other work as necessary and or as assigned.
- Must report to work on a regular and timely basis.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position.
The Executive Assistant to Assistant City Manager reports directly to the Assistant City Manager.
The Executive Assistant to the Assistant City Manager does not have any direct reports or supervisory responsibilities.
Training and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree with specialized course work in general office practices such as computer operation (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint), filing, accounting and bookkeeping and five (5) years of increasingly responsible related experience; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Considerable knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; knowledge of modern office practices and procedures. Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to handle stressful situations. Skilled in typing to effectively complete work assignments, type correspondence, transcribe minutes, disseminate information to staff and others, etc; skilled to effectively provide written and oral communications. Demonstrated knowledge of standard office routines and procedures and of principles and practices of office management and supervision. Performance tests of skill in the use of a computer keyboard with speed of at least 10,000 keystrokes per hour and 40 WPM. Must be proficient with computers and other office equipment with considerable knowledge in Microsoft programs.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. On a case-by-case basis, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, arm and hand steadiness and finger dexterity will be needed enough to use a key board and telephone. Occasional sitting and standing is required. Occasional lifting and carrying of objects up to twenty (20) pounds. Occasional reaching, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, twisting, handling and repetitive movements. Vision, speech and hearing sufficient to perform essential tasks. Punctuality and reasonable attendance is essential. Must submit to drug screening and fitness to work physical exam.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid Oklahoma Class D driver’s license is required. Requires ability to receive within three (3) months of employment, and maintain, a Notary Public Certification.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work in this classification is primarily indoors in an office environment. Will travel to other City locations as required.
STARTING PAY: $13.88/hr. Excellent employee benefits (insurance, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement, holidays).
WORK HOURS: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
WORK LOCATION: City of Muskogee City Manager’s Office (Assistant City Manager’s Office), 229 West Okmulgee Street, Muskogee, Oklahoma.
RESUMES MAY BE SUBMITTED BUT WE REQUIRE THAT OUR EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED ALSO. The employment application can be found on our website: http://www.cityofmuskogee.com. Just click on “Menu” at the top left side of the page (in the green bar), then under that go to “Departments” & click on “Human Resources”, then click on “Links and Downloads” on the left hand side of the page, then click on “Applications” (toward the bottom of the page), then click on “Employment Application” (print and fill out) or “Fillable Employment Application” (fill out online), or one can be faxed, emailed, or mailed to you or you can pick one up from the City of Muskogee Human Resources Department at 229 West Okmulgee Street (the three story red brick building (Muskogee Municipal Building) at the southeast corner of 3rd and Okmulgee Streets). The Human Resources Department is located on the First Floor, Room 102. Applications can be returned to the same address or by mail: City of Muskogee, Human Resources Department, P. O. Box 1927, Muskogee, OK 74402-1927; by fax: 918-684-6223; or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you should have any questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 918-684-6221 or inquire in person at the address above or fax or email (above).
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: There is deadline for applications for this position -- it will be open until filled.
Deadline for Applying : Jan 10, 2018