Parks and Recreation Fitness and Aquatics Facility Manager
CLASS TITLE: Parks and Recreation Fitness and Aquatics Facility Manager
PURPOSE OF THE CLASSIFICATION:
Responsible for the supervision and operation of the Muskogee Swim and Fitness Center, River Country Waterpark and Spaulding Pool. Facilitates long-range planning, management and programming of assigned facilities.
- Selects, orientates, trains, assigns, schedules, coaches, counsels and disciplines employees; communicates job expectations; plans, monitors, appraises and reviews job contributions; enforces policies and procedures.
- Supervises office and facility employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, proper procedures; corrects errors or problems.
- Handles citizen complaints and effectively determines proper course of action for a resolution.
- Participates in the development and administration of the Swim and Fitness Center and aquatics budget; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate.
- Observes and reports on aquatic and recreation facility use trends, capital equipment needs, program and service plans and marketing strategies to ensure effective delivery of programs and services to the public.
- Provides and maintains safe and secure facilities for customers and staff through the development of an in-house safety inspection and evaluation system.
- Ensures efficient and effective department operations and maintenance to provide cleanliness and comfort to customers and staff.
- Ensures a positive experience for the customer through the development and promotion of an ongoing customer service training program for all staff.
- Develops and administers a comprehensive marketing program designed to ensure strong community usage of the Swim and Fitness Center.
- Develops and communicates policies, procedures, programs and services effectively to the general public, community groups and other organizations utilizing the recreation center.
- Assimilates and disseminates a comprehensive body of information to staff to ensure effective team function, staff development and achievement of desired performance standards.
- Coordinates with outside organizations and develops broad-based plans to cover short, mid and long-term planning for the Swim and Fitness Center.
- Oversees seasonal operations and staff training of staff.
- Oversees daily operation of River Country Waterpark and Spaulding Pool.
- Schedules and runs various physical and special events throughout the year.
- Operates office equipment such as fax machines, copiers and phone systems and uses computers for spreadsheets, word processing, database management and other applications; learns to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented.
- Performs other work as necessary and or as assigned.
- Must report to work on a regular and timely basis.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position.
The Parks and Recreation Fitness and Aquatics Facility Manager reports directly to the Assistant Director of Parks & Recreation (Recreation Division).
The Parks and Recreation Fitness and Aquatics Facility Manager supervises the Recreation Facility Membership Coordinator, Aquatic Supervisor, Fitness Coordinator, Fitness Attendant, Front Desk Attendant, Lifeguard and Custodian positions.
Training and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation Administration Management, Marketing, Business Management or closely related field and four (4) years of related experience with at least three (3) years in a supervisory capacity, requires at least two (2) years’ aquatics management experience, or an equivalent amount of education and experience. Preference will be given to those with a degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Requires broad-based knowledge and experience with public recreation facilities, recreation programs and services with specific experience in facility management, staff development and management, aquatic management and operations, safety regulations, aquatic services, fee structures, income generating strategies and marketing of facility programs and services; comprehensive knowledge of phases of community recreation activities and their administration; comprehensive knowledge of the principles and methods of park planning and development. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are required. Ability to maximize resources and produce superior service; ability to serve existing users and design appropriate services to attract new customers; ability to cooperate with and interpret recreation philosophies to City authorities, public and private groups and agencies and the general public. Working knowledge of computers and computer software. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community; ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format; ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. On a case-by-case basis, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this job, employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel; reach with arms and hands. Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch. Occasional lifting up to fifty (50) pounds. Must be able to perform life saving skills including lifting a person off of the bottom and out of the water (average weight one hundred fifty (150) pounds). Vision, speech and hearing sufficient to perform essential tasks. Punctuality and reasonable attendance is essential. Must submit to drug screening and fitness to work physical exam.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid Oklahoma Class D driver’s license is required. Requires First Aid, AED, CPR and Lifeguard Certification within six (6) months of hire. Position requires ability to obtain and maintain a Lifeguard Instructor Certification, Water Safety Instructor, Water Safety Instructor Trainer, Certified Pool Operator and Aquatic Facility Operator within twelve (12) months of hire.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed indoors and outdoors in a fitness/aquatic facility. The employee is exposed to hot, wet and humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Requires ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as scheduled.
STARTING PAY: $46,230.00/yr. to $59,571.00/yr. Excellent employee benefits (insurance, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement, holidays).
WORK HOURS: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Requires ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as scheduled.
WORK LOCATION: City of Muskogee Parks and Recreation Department, Recreation Division, Muskogee Swim and Fitness Center, 566 North 6th Street, Muskogee, Oklahoma.
RESUMES MAY BE SUBMITTED BUT WE REQUIRE THAT OUR EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED ALSO. The employment application can be found on our website: http://www.cityofmuskogee.com. Just click on “Menu” at the top left side of the page (in the green bar), then under that go to “Departments” and click on “Human Resources”, then click on “Links and Downloads” on the left hand side of the page, then click on “Applications” (toward the bottom of the page), then click on “Employment Application” (print and fill out) or “Fillable Employment Application” (fill out online), or one can be faxed, emailed, or mailed to you or you can pick one up from the City of Muskogee Human Resources Department at 229 West Okmulgee Street (the three story red brick building (Muskogee Municipal Building) at the southeast corner of 3rd and Okmulgee Streets). The Human Resources Department is located on the First Floor, Room 102. Applications can be returned to the same address or by mail: City of Muskogee, Human Resources Department, P. O. Box 1927, Muskogee, OK 74402-1927; by fax: 918-684-6223; or by email: email@example.com. If you should have any questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 918-684-6221 or inquire in person at the address above or fax or email (above).
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: There is no deadline for applications for this position. It will be open until filled.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled