Hatbox Sports and Events Coordinator
CLASS TITLE: Hatbox Sports and Events Coordinator
PURPOSE OF THE CLASSIFICATION:
Responsible for Hatbox Field and Sports Complex and facility usage within the complex including but not limited to organizing of comprehensive sports and recreational activities for individuals and groups of all ages, including sports, arts and crafts, music, dramatics, education and developmental programs and performs related work as required.
- Coordinates the operation of Hatbox Field and Sports Complex and administers a diversified event program to meet the needs of the community.
- Interprets recreation programs and their philosophy to individuals and groups through personal participation and assignments to staff and volunteers.
- Conducts community wide events by working with user groups to determine recreational needs and interests.
- Evaluates programs and activities to determine if they are meeting their objectivities; promotes and stimulates good relations with neighborhood and community groups and organizations.
- Promotes programs and events to diverse populations attracting local community use and out of town guests to the complex.
- Collects fees and enrolls patrons.
- Performs various clerical duties including report preparation and record keeping.
- Assembles and disassembles various equipment.
- Inspects facilities, equipment and program activities for safety and cleanliness.
- Recruits and enlists volunteers and support staff for programs and community events.
- Ensures compliance with City policies and procedures.
- Supervises and participates in the daily maintenance and cleaning of an assigned center.
- Prepares work orders for special maintenance needs and supplies.
- Serves as a resource person on advisory committees.
- Acquires event sponsorships and/or donations for sports and community events.
- Proposes and carries out long term planning in recreation and leisure activities.
- Operates office equipment such as fax machines, copiers and phone systems and uses computer for spreadsheets, word processing, database management and other applications; learns to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented.
- Cultivates and fosters partnerships with supporting organizations, reservation and scheduling of events and contract use of the facilities and buildings within the complex.
- Markets and promotes the complex, its facilities and events to appropriate audiences utilizing mass media, social media, press releases, direct mail, newsletters, website, etc.
- Markets event offerings to positively impact visitation, related revenues and the complex's image.
- Performs other work as necessary and or as assigned.
- Must report to work on a regular and timely basis.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position.
The Hatbox Sports and Events Coordinator reports directly to the Assistant Director of Parks & Recreation (Recreation Division).
The Hatbox Sports and Events Coordinator may supervise temporary seasonal staff.
Training and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in fitness, recreation or physical education with one (1) year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Good knowledge of the principles and techniques employed in a public recreation program; good knowledge of the purposes of centers established to meet the leisure time and recreational needs of community groups; good knowledge of the facilities and equipment of organized public recreational programs; and good knowledge of first aid methods and safety precautions necessary in recreation work. Ability to organize and secure the effective cooperation of community groups to determine special recreational needs; ability to train and lead subordinates in recreation work; ability to instruct individuals in game, play or group activities; ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; and the ability to understand and influence the behavior of others within the organization, customers or the public in order to achieve job objectives and cause action or understanding.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. On a case-by-case basis, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include frequent walking and standing; frequent lifting over 50 pounds; occasional carrying of objects weighing over 50 pounds; constant reaching and handling; occasional balancing, stooping, kneeling, crawling and climbing; vision, speech and hearing sufficient to perform essential tasks. Punctuality and reasonable attendance is essential. Must submit to drug screening and fitness to work physical exam.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid Oklahoma Class D driver’s license is required. Must possess and maintain certification in First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work in this classification is primarily outdoors. Will travel to other City locations as required. Exposure to wet, hot, cold and/or humid conditions. Requires ability to work nights, weekends, holidays and irregular hours.
STARTING PAY: $14.64/hr. – $19.16/hr. Excellent employee benefits (insurance, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement, holidays).
WORK HOURS: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Requires ability to work nights, weekends, holidays and irregular hours.
WORK LOCATION: City of Muskogee Parks and Recreation Department, Recreation Division, Love-Hatbox Sports Complex, 3601 Arline Drive, Muskogee, Oklahoma.
RESUMES MAY BE SUBMITTED BUT WE REQUIRE THAT OUR EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED ALSO. The employment application can be found on our website: http://www.cityofmuskogee.com. Just click on “Menu” at the top left side of the page (in the green bar), then under that go to “Departments” & click on “Human Resources”, then click on “Links and Downloads” on the left hand side of the page, then click on “Applications” (toward the bottom of the page), then click on “Employment Application” (print and fill out) or “Fillable Employment Application” (fill out online), or one can be faxed, emailed, or mailed to you or you can pick one up from the City of Muskogee Human Resources Department at 229 West Okmulgee Street (the three story red brick building (Muskogee Municipal Building) at the southeast corner of 3rd and Okmulgee Streets). The Human Resources Department is located on the First Floor, Room 102. Applications can be returned to the same address or by mail: City of Muskogee, Human Resources Department, P. O. Box 1927, Muskogee, OK 74402-1927; by fax: 918-684-6223; or by email: email@example.com. If you should have any questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 918-684-6221 or inquire in person at the address above or fax or email (above).
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: There is no deadline for applications for this position. It will be open until filled.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled