Director of Tourism for the Muskogee Tourism Authority
Job Title: Director of Tourism
Reports To: Muskogee Tourism
Job Status: Range $40k - $60k
Depending on qualifications and
The Director of Tourism in responsible for the management and execution of TOURISM for the city of Muskogee and operates under the direction of the Muskogee Tourism Trust. This position is the primary representative for all tourism activities and a liaison with local hotels, attractions and businesses as they relate to tourism and associated activities or events. The Director of Tourism is responsible for the development and implementation of all initiatives, activities and programs designed to increase tourism for Muskogee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Management and Administration – 10%
- Guides the annual development of, and is responsible for, the implementation and execution of the Tourism Program of Work.
- Tracks visitor data and other pertinent statistics and information related to tourism and ensures updated and proper software and collection systems are in place.
- Serves as a representative of the MTA during any sponsored event such as festivals, conventions, tournaments, races and other activities expected to bring groups of tourists to Muskogee. Serves as a liaison on behalf of the MTA for non-sponsored tourism activities as directed.
- Works with the Muskogee Tourism Authority in preparing an annual budget for all tourism activities.
- Manages all aspects of the Community Support application process;
- Oversees the building and operation of the Visitor Center along 69 Highway.
- Coordinates the Grand Program, which provides funding for tourism related projects and events.
Convention Recruitment and Hosting – 30%
- Conducts research in order to actively pursue conventions to come to Muskogee.
- Conducts solicitation of conventions and other tourism business for Muskogee.
- Collaborates with local venues including, but not limited to, Muskogee Civic Center and Love Hatbox when necessary to recruit and host events including, but not limited to, tournaments, conventions, etc.
- Participates in trade and sports shows, including set-up and tear-down of booths, to exhibit promotional materials designed to attract tourists and conventioneers to the area.
- Works in conjunction with hoteliers, transportation providers and the Muskogee Civic Center to promote Muskogee as a packaged convention destination for conventions.
- Develops itineraries and materials for group tours and conventions.
- Recruits associations and other organizations to “sell” and promote Muskogee as a destination for conventions.
Tourism Event Development and Recruitment – 30%
- Creates and develop new events to attract visitors to Muskogee.
- Works with event organizers to grow existing events that attract visitors to Muskogee.
- Works with local attractions and organizations to increase utilization at local venues and increase attendance at local events and develop new events that attract tourists.
Marketing and Community Relations – 25%
- Serves as staff liaison and the Muskogee Tourism Authority representative to the Muskogee Hotel and Lodging Association and Motorcycle Tourism Committee, as well as any other ad-hoc committees to further tourism.
- Maintains positive relations with local hoteliers, attractions, venues and event staff, as well as other key stakeholders in Muskogee’s tourism industry.
- Provides input and direction to the overall marketing, advertising and public relation efforts.
- Works collaboratively with government officials, community leaders, volunteers and other organizations to develop new tourist attractions, festivals and events to promote Muskogee’s assets and Green Country area attractions.
- Fosters relationships with tourism professionals at state and national level by attending association meetings, networking events and educational sessions.
- Develops press releases to all media contacts to publicize tourism related events and other promotions.
- Manages the Visit Muskogee Social media account by creating content and monitor effectiveness through evaluation of analytics.
- Creates camera-ready artwork and copy for advertising as needed in various materials such as state, regional and national periodicals, brochures, flyers, billboards, etc.
- Manages and coordinates the promotion and communication efforts for events such as festivals, conventions, fishing tournaments, races and other.
- Maintains the Visit Muskogee webpage and Community Calendar.
- Markets local attractions, including assisting with website, social media and event creation.
- Provides marketing and public relations consultation and assistance to organizations and tourist attractions as identified through the tourism’s community support grant process.
Other – 5%
- Provides support to the Muskogee Tourism Authority committees and activities as requested by the Muskogee Tourism Authority.
- Attends the Muskogee Tourism Authority Board meetings.
- Attends functions and events as directed by the Muskogee Tourism Authority Board.
- Other duties as assigned by the Muskogee Tourism Authority Board.
- A strong work ethic and the ability to initiate contacts with supervision.
- Experience in working to meet specific goals and deadlines.
- Excellent customer service and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work with people in person, either one-on-one or in groups, on the phone and via email.
- Ability and willingness to work in a collaborative and team environment.
- Must have knowledge and experience related to tourism.
- The ability to work outside of general office hours on an as-needed basis.
- Must be organized and have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, including building community relationships, attending meetings and administrative office work.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn and manage membership software.
- A valid driver’s license and personal mode of transportation.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; preferred in related fields.
- Ability to pass a thorough background check.
- Ability to attend evening and weekend events on a regular basis
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in management role.
- Tourism or Marketing certifications preferred.
- Experience working with government organizations and local officials.
Forward resumes to: Muskogeetourismauthority@gmail.com
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled